Chesapeake Homeowners' Helpful Guide To Total Rodent Control
February 16, 2022 - Rodents
There are lots of rodents that live here in Chesapeake. Some like to nibble on trees; others live underground in burrows. There are even some types of rodents that like to invade homes. We will be talking about these invasive rodents today. Here are some things you should know about the wild rodents that invade homes here in Chesapeake and a helpful guide to help you keep them away from your living areas.
What Is A Rodent?
A rodent is a mammal with sharp front incisor teeth. These front teeth never stop growing and need constant maintenance to be kept at a reasonable length. Beavers file down their teeth by gnawing down trees. Rats and mice do maintenance by chewing holes through walls and nibbling on hard things like furniture legs. As you can imagine, this can become problematic fast. The question is, is chewing on things the only problem rodents cause when they invade area homes?
All The Problems Rodents Can Create In Your Home
Chewing on things is not the only problem rodents cause when they invade area homes. These pests are also incredibly annoying and dangerous. If you sleep in complete silence, you are likely to hear these pests skittering around inside your wall or ceiling voids late at night. You might also hear rats and mice knock things over or the sound of them chewing. As for danger, rodents carry many forms of bacteria, pathogens, and parasites. They spread danger by transporting fleas and ticks indoors and defecating and urinating inside food boxes, in the backs of pantries, and other areas indoors. If you suspect your home has an active rodent infestation, clean frequently, be careful not to eat contaminated food, and watch out for fleas and ticks.
Five Easy And Effective Rodent Exclusion Tips For Around The House
If you are trying to deter rodents from invading your Chesapeake home, one option you should try is putting in place some natural preventative measures. Here are five easy and effective exclusion tips to try if you have some time on your hands.
- Identify holes, gaps, and cracks in your home's exterior. Use some silicone caulk and some steel wool to fill in entry points you find.
- Check the condition of your home's window and door screens and do your best to keep unscreened doors and windows closed when they aren't in use.
- Address moisture issues inside and around your home, which might involve eliminating sources of rainwater buildup, repairing damage to piping and fixtures, and wiping down countertops and sinks before going to bed each night.
- Store all your dried food, pet food, and leftovers inside airtight plastic, glass, or metal containers.
- Thoroughly clean your home at least once a week and keep up with general cleaning like dishes, sweeping, and mess cleanup. It also helps to reduce clutter.
The Most Effective Rodent Control For Your Chesapeake Home
Rodents are one of the most difficult pests to control. If you have noticed small rodents like rats and mice crawling around inside your Chesapeake home, your best option to get them out is to involve the professionals at Diamond Exterminators and Crawl Space Solutions. Our team uses advanced traps and baiting techniques to address rodent problems indoors. We also offer detailed rodent exclusion options for buisnesses. These options are great for controlling rodents and deterring a range of other pests from causing trouble indoors.
Call us today to learn more about the kinds of rodents that invade homes in Chesapeake and schedule your home for a service visit. Let us show you why members of our community pick up first for their Chesapeake pest control needs.