Struggling To Get Rid Of A Silverfish Infestation In Hampton Roads?
November 15, 2022 - Silverfish
If you're struggling to get rid of silverfish, there are a few things you can do. First, make sure that your home is clean and free of clutter. You can also try using traps or bait to catch silverfish. There are a variety of different traps and baits available, so experiment to see what works best in your home.
If you're still struggling with how to get rid of silverfish, you may need to contact a Hampton Roads pest company. They will be able to help you identify the problem and find a solution.
Why Are Silverfish Called Silverfish?
What are silverfish? They are insects and members of the order Zygentoma, which includes other small, wingless insects like firebrats. They are found all over the world and are especially common in humid environments. They get their name from their silvery-grey color and fish-like shape.
Habits And Behavior Of Silverfish In Hampton Roads
Silverfish are nocturnal insects that you will usually find in dark, damp places. They are shy insects and will avoid light whenever possible. During the day, you can discover a silverfish hiding in cracks and crevices. At night, they come out to feed on food sources such as cereals, flour, paper, and even dead insects.
Although they are not harmful to humans, silverfish can be a nuisance and cause damage to property. Their eating habits can cause holes in clothes, books, and wallpaper. In addition, their shedding skin can trigger allergies in some people.
A silverfish's lifespan is typically two to eight years. During this time, they will shed their skin multiple times. This process helps them to grow and mature. After shedding their skin, silverfish mate, and the female will then lay eggs which hatch into baby silverfish called nymphs. Young silverfish go through a series of molts (shedding their skin) before they reach adulthood.
Six Simple Tricks To Getting Rid Of Silverfish In Hampton Roads
If you're looking for ways to get rid of these pesky pests in your home, there are a few simple tricks that can help. Here are six home remedies for silverfish.
- Reduce moisture levels in your home. Silverfish thrive in humid environments, so reducing moisture levels can help discourage them from sticking around. Use a dehumidifier in damp areas like basements and bathrooms and fix any leaks or other sources of moisture.
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free. Silverfish love hiding in dark, cluttered places. Vacuum your home regularly to reduce the number of places silverfish can hide.
- Silverfish are attracted to food sources, so keeping your home clean and free of food debris can help deter them. Store food in airtight containers and regularly sweep and mop floors to remove any crumbs or other food particles.
- There are a number of different types of silverfish traps available that can be effective in getting rid of these pests. Try a few different kinds to see which works best for you.
- If traps and other methods aren't working, you may need to resort to using pesticides. Be sure to read the label carefully and follow all directions when using any type of pesticide.
- If you're still seeing silverfish around after trying all of the above methods, it may be time to call in a professional.
An expert local pest control company will be able to identify the source of the problem and know how to get rid of silverfish once and for all.
Professional Silverfish Control Formulated For Hampton Roads Homes
Diamond Exterminators offers a free inspection of the exterior and interior of your Hampton Roads home. Our recommended treatments are effective against silverfish and other common household pests and are safe for use around children and pets.
Call Diamond Exterminators today if you're ready to get rid of your silverfish problem once and for all.