The Trick To Keeping Mosquitoes Away From Your Hampton Roads Yard
September 15, 2022 - Mosquitoes
Did you know that mosquitoes kill more people every year than any other animal? They are a significant cause of insect bites and disrupted sleep in warm climates, but they also carry dangerous diseases such as malaria and the West Nile virus. Fortunately, there are solutions to exterminate them and regain control of your property.
If mosquitoes are invading your yard, now is the time to learn why they are considered dangerous, remove the factors that attract them, and get rid of them effectively. If mosquitoes have taken over, Diamond Exterminators Pest Control provides pest control in Hampton Roads, which you can rely on to get rid of these bothersome and dangerous pests safely and for good.
The Life Cycle Of Mosquitoes
Understanding the life cycle of mosquitoes is necessary to exterminate them fully. Mosquitoes go through four stages as part of their life cycle, including the following:
- The egg stage is the first. Because eggs require water to hatch, they lay them in stagnant water. If they are not in the water, they can stay dormant until a source of water appears, after rainfall, for example.
- The larva stage happens in water, where the larva will develop.
- The pupa stage is just before the final stage, and mosquitoes are still harmless at that point.
- When mosquitoes turn into adults, they can finally fly and feed on blood.
Depending on the conditions, it takes roughly ten days for a mosquito to go through its life cycle. Because each stage might require a different control method, it is best to reach out to a professional. Treating only adult mosquitoes, for instance, is only a temporary fix if they have had time to lay eggs.
Why Mosquitoes Are Considered So Dangerous
Mosquitoes not only disrupt sleep and evenings out. The list of dangerous diseases caused by mosquitoes is extensive and includes the following:
- Mosquitoes cause painful and itchy bites as part of their feeding process, leading to infections, allergies, and sometimes anaphylactic shock.
- Mosquitoes carry and transmit dangerous diseases, including the Zika virus, yellow fever, malaria, dengue fever, and more. According to the World Health Organization, more than half of the world’s population is at risk. Mosquitoes in Hampton Roads are vectors of three types of encephalitis and the cause of several neuro-invasive West Nile virus cases in 2021.
- Mosquitoes can transmit heartworm to pets. This life-threatening condition can lead to death if left untreated.
Mosquitoes are dangerous insects that can cause potentially deadly illnesses in humans and pets. If mosquitoes have taken over your yard, it is vital to get rid of factors that might be attracting them.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Mosquitoes To Your Yard
If mosquitoes have invaded your Hampton Roads property, now is the time to determine if you might be unknowingly attracting them:
- Mosquitoes need stagnant water to lay their eggs. If you have containers outdoors, such as wheelbarrows, pet bowls, buckets and pots, open trash cans, and more, now is the time to cover them or get rid of them.
- Some plants that attract mosquitoes are also landscaping favorites. Consider getting rid of them if your yard contains water lilies and hyacinths, taro, or papyrus.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to dark-colored clothing. If you plan on being outdoors, wearing light colors could help.
- Strong scents draw mosquitoes. Consider not wearing perfumes while near a mosquito infestation.
Suppose you have taken all the necessary precautions, such as removing stagnant water and plants that attract mosquitoes, wearing little to no perfume, and favoring light-colored clothing with no significant reduction in your mosquito problem. In that case, it might be time to reach out to the experts.
The Best Mosquito Control Solution For Your Yard
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is to combine precautions like eliminating attractants with professional mosquito control treatments. Licensed technicians can determine why mosquitoes are attracted to your property in the first place and then recommend methods to get rid of them, including microbial insects, insecticides, insect growth regulators, and more.
For the best advice based on your specific situation, reach out to the experts. The licensed technicians at Diamond Exterminators Pest Control know you need to keep mosquitoes out of your yard for good.
Mosquitoes are dangerous animals that can cause life-threatening illnesses and, at the very least, painful and itchy bites. Thanks to professional pest control treatments, you can once again get a good night’s sleep, enjoy spending evenings out, and keep your family safe.