Why You Should Call The Pros About Ants In Your Chesapeake Home
April 15, 2022 - Ants
Ants are small but mighty insects that cause a number of problems for homeowners. When infestations go undetected, they can lead to serious home damage and health risks for your family and pets. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent and get rid of ants before they ruin your property. Read on to learn more about the dangers of ants and when it might be time to call for ant control near you.
How To Identify An Ant Infestation In Your Home
It's important to know the signs of an ant infestation so you can schedule ant pest control services as soon as possible. Here are some of the warning signs you have an ant problem:
- Small piles of dirt or sawdust, also known as frass, ants create when building their colonies. You may notice them outside or inside of your home.
- Weakened or crumbling wood. Most of the time, wood will appear intact from the outside, but it will sound hollow when you tap on it. This is due to ants chewing away at the wood from the inside. You may also notice rustling sounds inside your walls if there is an active colony.
- Spotting ants inside your home. Although it may seem obvious, ants inside your home are a clear sign of an infestation. Seeing a few ants here and there isn't usually a major concern, but pay attention to any accompanying signs, like sawdust trails.
- Wings from flying ants. Some species of ants have wings and will fly around to establish a new colony. Termites also exhibit this behavior. Ant wings are most commonly found by doors and window sills.
At the first signs of an infestation, contact a professional exterminator who provides ant control solutions, like Diamond Exterminators.
Why You Don't Want Ants Hanging Around Your House
Ants are a nuisance pest with the ability to cause catastrophic structural damage to homes. They also contaminate food sources, and some species cause painful bites and stings to humans and pets. Here are some of the dangers of ants:
Physical Injury: Fire ants cause painful stings. Some people experience severe allergic reactions that require emergency medical attention.
- Contamination: Odorous house ants commonly nest in the garbage and carry germs around. If they get into your food sources, they could contaminate them and make your family sick.
- Structural Damage: Carpenter ants build their colonies inside the wood of your home, leading to structural collapse when infestations become severe.
The best pest control for ants is to avoid them in the first place. Once ants have infested your home, it's tough to get rid of them without the help of an exterminator.
Why DIY Ant Control Is A Waste Of Time And Money
The most effective ant control is prevention. Take time to remove what attracts ants to your property to protect your home and family. Keep your kitchen clean by wiping down countertops and sweeping or vacuuming crumbs. Store your food in sealed containers and avoid keeping pet food out overnight. Seal all holes and cracks in your exterior walls and caulk gaps between window and door frames. Trim back trees with branches that are too close to your home, as ants can use them as a bridge to climb inside. Keep firewood at least twenty feet from your home's exterior.
If you are dealing with an active infestation, most do-it-yourself solutions fail. Many of the chemicals used in store-bought products are harmful to your family and pets and may cause more harm than good. When ants have taken over your home, contact a trusted provider of ant control in Chesapeake, like Diamond Exterminators.
Contact The Pros At The First Sign Of Ants In Your Home
Diamond Exterminators has been a trusted source of pest control in Chesapeake for over 20 years. Our environmentally-friendly ant control solutions are both safe and effective. Give us a call to learn more about our services and how we can make your home ant-free.